Friday, April 16, 2004

Music Affects Your Driving

Good sounding study, this one. If you listen to certain music you are twice as likely to have an accident while driving was the finding. Two of the music pieces mentioned were Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" and the Prodigy's "Firestarter". I can certainly understand the second one.

I remember when I was an apprentice and used to drive 180 kilometres from Bordertown to Mt Gambier on the weekends. I used to sit on 100 km/h but I noticed if I played a tape of Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart" I was doing 120 km/h by the time the song finished. Adrenalin-pumping songs certainly have an affect on your driving.

Interestingly the study also found that one of the best songs to listen to was by Norah Jones. I believe that it is more likely to put you to sleep and so is one of the most dangerous songs to listen to whilst driving. You can't believe everything in these studies.

No comments: