Thursday, March 24, 2005

It Was A Hot One

Yesterday was a bit of a scorcher. It was the third hottest March day on record. The temperature reached 41.9 degrees. Let's not forget that it is Autumn. The weather bureau said that it was unlikely we would see this sort of weather in April. Only unlikely? Doesn't sound too confident, does it?

Teachers Do A Great Job

Yu-Jin doesn't like singing too much. Imagine my shock when I came home yesterday and he wanted to sing the national anthem, Advance Australia Fair, with me. And he knew the words. Most Australians wouldn't know the words.

Terri Schiavo Case

I'm so glad that they aren't asking me to make a decision about Terri Schiavo. She is an American woman who had a heart attack 15 years ago and was brain damaged. Terri is unable to feed herself but isn't on life support. Her husband wants her to die and said that it was her wish.

Turning off a life support system isn't such a hard issue. If it is only a machine keeping someone alive then I could do it. But to have a feeding tube removed, a life support machine in a way, so that she had no food or water is not nice to think about. Her mother doesn't want her daughter to die of thirst. Well, you don't die of thirst, you die from dehydration. It's like someone who falls out of a plane. It's not the fall that kills you, it's hitting the ground that's rushing up to meet you (that sudden stop) that does the damage.

A horrible way to die, in my opinion. This will make the law-makers have a rethink about the issue of right-to-die. I don't like the way that the Church and the State in the US are being intertwined and turning this into a political issue. It has very little to do with politics.

The fact that she has survived for five and a half days without food or water just gets worse as time rolls on. I wish for a quick death to end her misery. At least I don't have to deal with making the decision.

No comments: