Friday, August 19, 2005

How Un-Australian Is This?

It appears that some of the public parasites, er servants, have too much time on their hands and just want to stir up trouble. A ban on greeting people at Parliament with the word "mate" had come into effect. How absurd. It's just not on.

What could provide a warmer greeting than, "G'day mate" as you approach our Parliament? It provides a sense of security as you feel you are in safe, Aussie hands. The public servant responsible probably doesn't have the brainpower to understand how stupid his edict was. It brains were dynamite he couldn't blow his nose.

On a lighter note it reminds me of the groundsman from my high school. His nickname was "Hey Mate" as he greeted everyone with a cheery, "How ya goin' ol' mate?" Very nice chap was our groundsman. Damn hard to understand though. I've never heard such a drawl when speaking. I even asked him one day where he was from, where he was born. I think that I offended him in actual fact as it was with some sadness that he said Australia. How was I supposed to know? I'd never heard anybody like him before, or since, and you had to make up some of what he said to understand it.

So, I'd like to send a special "cheerio" to Mr Tonkin, alias Hey Mate, on this special day when Parliament will overturn the edict to stop greeting people with the term "mate".

Have a good day, mate.

No comments: