Thursday, December 21, 2006

Hammer Time

It was a strange feeling in our house last night. The boy had been at childcare during the day where they went to the pool in the morning, back to the centre for lunch, and then returned to the pool for the afternoon. He was worn out and was sleeping when I arrived home from work. We have so much time on our hands we don't know what to do with ourselves.

It finally hit me that we should watch the DVD that I had hired on the weekend for myself - Hostage - starring Bruce Willis. Miky had given me a hard time when we hired it as it was a dumb action movie and I always get stupid movies, blah, blah. She was glued to the screen. It was a great movie. Bit of drama, bit of a thriller and very entertaining. Lots of shootings and death. Just the way I like it. It's about a cop and a hostage drama, if you hadn't worked that out already.

Just before we finished watching it we heard a noise from the kitchen. A rustling noise. It sounded like a mouse was into the chip packet on the kitchen bench. I crept into the kitchen, turned the light on an there was nothing. Back to finish the movie.

Just as the credits started rolling we heard the sound again. Once more I crept into the kitchen. Same rustling noise but it wasn't coming from where the chips were. It was eminating from the bread on top of the fridge. I turned the light on but there was no sudden movement as I had been expecting. The packet containing the bread had chew marks on it. Oh well, better pick up the bread and throw it in the bin. As I was lowering it to the bin I noticed that the mouse was still in the bag. Dropped that on the floor quick smart.

Went hunting for something to hit the mouse with. After watching a violent movie it was the first thing to enter my head. Couldn't find the vacuum cleaner pipe that had worked so well for me in the past. Opened my toolbox searching for a screwdriver when my hammer presented itself. No, it wasn't Saddam, The Mother Of All Hammers. He had been stolen some years before. Just an ordinary claw hammer that had been passed down from father to son. Made light work of the mouse. Little bugger. Won't be doing that again.

Miky saw another mouse later. I set up a trap with a walnut in it and the bait was gone in the morning. And so was the mouse. I'll get him. It might be hammer time again.

Yes, I do own MC Hammer's CD.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Good luck. It sounds like it has the makings of a good episode of Tom & Jerry.