Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I Hate Public Holidays

I quite dislike public holidays nowadays. In my new job as a contractor if I don't work I don't get paid. Hence my dislike for public holidays. Sure, I can go to work if I want to but I don't want to. Public holidays generally give us the time to get together with friends for a BBQ. We had planned to get together with some friends on Monday, Labour Day public holiday in Western Australia, but not the rest of the country, but as the temperature soared towards 40 degrees it was a mutual decision that four o'clock would not be a good time to have a BBQ. It reached 40.4 degrees on Monday and we decided to cook at home and go out for a picnic. A wise move as it turned out. That's another reason to dislike public holidays - they always seem to be so hot. Unbearably hot.

The temperature wasn't too bad and the kids had a good time running around. I had my first taste of grass jelly. Yes, you read correctly. And I ate it with chopsticks. It was nice to get out of the house. We went to a playground so that the kids could run around, which they certainly did, and the adults could sit together and talk. I must say that it was nice to get together with friends for a couple of hours.

Next public holiday is Easter and the likelihood of that being hot is remote but not impossible.

2 comments:

Susan Ham said...

I was told many years ago, by my grandmother, that your grandmother, though born in May, was none-the-less born in a heat wave. With global warming, as you say, it is not impossible that you will have hot weather for your birthday & Easter, in April.

Anonymous said...

Well Easter is surely coming up shortly...and i guess everyone around is getting pretty excited about it...and well in the spirit of Easter also drop by my blog on Easter Wishes sometime and check out all that i've posted there!!!