Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Interpreting Bus Drivers' Sign Language

Driving a bus has its rewards and also its problems. You get to deal with the public and you get to deal with the public. Most drivers remain friendly whatever the situation but just lately I've seen a few of them beep the horn at car drivers who fail to give way to the bus when it is leaving the bus stop. And rightly so. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a one-finger salute to go with it.

The other day I hailed a bus after work and noticed that the bus wasn't pulling into the bus stop, which was a little odd. Then the driver gave me a cut throat gesture, not unlike Kevin Sheedy did to Mitchell White all those years ago, which took me by surprise. It was then then I noticed the bus was full and not that the bus driver intended to slit my throat.

Funny that.

Cut throat gesture - from http://folksong.org.nz/kapa_o_pango/index.html

1 comment:

Susan Ham said...

Different kind of 'sign language'. I wonder if they use that one for the deaf?