Thursday, July 19, 2007

Don't Speak Ill Of The Dead

From an early age I was told not to speak ill of the dead. It is considered quite rude to do so. It's not as if they will hear you.

According to the Guinness Books of Records 1/13th of the people who have ever lived are alive today. Now, I just checked out a population clock and it tells me that there are 6.606056697 billion people in the world - 21:59 GMT on July 18th 2007. Doing a bit of maths I arrive at the figure of 86 billion people that have ever lived, or, to put it another way, some 79 billion that lived and are now dead.

If you can't speak ill of the dead you are missing out on 92% of the target audience. That seems quite unfair and I think this unwritten law should be scrapped.

Anyway, I think that it is sad when a celebrity dies and then they only become better known once they are dead. My mum told me recently that Stan Zemanek was dying from cancer. Who? Then the reports on the news and online media published photos of him, sans hair, and I still didn't know who he was. Following his death they showed clips of him on a tv show - Beauty and the Beast, and then I realised who he was. A rather loud-mouthed, argumentative, opinionated self-promoter. Why didn't mum say that the first time around? It's only now that he's dead I know who he is.

And to think that I'm not allowed to say anything unkind about him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not, if he's dead what is he gonna do rise from the dead and beat you up?? ha ha just kidding!!! He can't sue you now that he is dead ha ha Those L's are'nt dead and I doubt they will ever change. They believe it is thier God given right to be nasty and choose who dies. They are nothing special and that is for sure. Who gave them the right to play God? They surely are'nt Gods. That is for sure. Have a great rest of the week. Annette and friends

Hammy said...

Speaking of the dead rising up we were watching the Exorcist II last night.

Susan Ham said...

It has been said, by many, that Stan Zemanek was not the 'beast' he seemed, but a very nice, shy bloke. It was obviously an act. Very convincing wouldn't you say?
No wonder Miky was scared, watching that thing. It would scare me to death!!

Anonymous said...

Those films are so funny because, it is so fake you can tell. They are interesting because, you can fantasize about stuff that is just pure fantasy. Being scared now and then is fun anyway. Annette