Saturday, May 15, 2010

Wasps Versus Humans - Round 3

We thought that we'd gotten rid of the wasps outside of our house with our last assault using water guns. But it would appear that we were mistaken.

Last weekend I decided to spend a leisurely few hours, not the whole weekend (nearly) as it turned out, to install some guttering at the front of the house as it was certainly past its use by date. It involved moving a few tiles and cutting the new guttering to size. One thing that I wasn't too happy about was the fact that the internal and external corners were the same size as the gutter so it needed a bit of a bodge job to be done to get them to fit. How dumb is that? I'll be having a work to the manufacturer regarding that.

Anyway, back to the story. The Boy decided to have a look from atop the ladder as boys are wont to do. I know when I travelled around the world I like to visit the tallest building and have a look see. As he reached the top of the ladder he spotted a wasp nest right where I had been working. I had been too busy to even notice. And there must have been 25 or 30 of the little buggers at least. I hadn't even seen any of them flying around at the at stage either.

Out with the tennis racquet for a nice backhand into oblivion. Never did find the remains of the nest but had to put about eight of them out of their misery shortly afterwards. Get the feeling that the won't be coming back any time soon. If they know what is good for them that is.

Wasp nest.

Wasp swarm - heaps of the little buggers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good the smart boy saved you from being stung. Enjoy your weekend.

Hammy said...

He did indeed.

Iris Flavia said...

Ugh, goose-bumps! May they never return!