Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Holiday To London-NYC-Niagara - Day Twenty Two

Beaut morning to attend the MET - Metropolitan Museum of Art. Made a start with Greek and Roman, then Egyptian, followed by Pacific and some African before making our way upstairs to Chinese, Japanese and Korean. The missus made the move to European artists - some wonderful paintings on display. Artists like Van Gogh ("Van Gogg" I heard him referred to), Monet, Pisarro, Renoir, Coubert, etc. Better than the works on display in London. The MET is a truly well laid out and displayed museum/gallery. Looks like we may have save the best until last.



It was around 3pm when we left. Bought a print from one of the street vendors. About to get on a bus and use our Metro cards when a lady nearby told me reassuringly that we could indeed us our Metro cards on this bus. I couldn't believe that she was talking to me - I hadn't asked her. Then she wasn't aware of where the bus went so I gout out my bus route map and told her. She was, after all, only being helpful. Did I have that much of a lost look on my face?

Some road closures meant that the bus was going to detour so we got off. Walked our way down to 51st St and found Ess-a Bagel - one of the missus' must do places. I had a Reuben Sandwich with pastrami, can't visit NYC without having pastrami can you, and the missus had a salmon with blueberry cream bagel. It was alright, nothing to skite about.


Tired by the time we arrived at the apartment. Even "Speak English" guy greeted us with a "Hi guys". I cooked dinner, missus washed up, and we headed out to the Empire State Building. Thought that umbrellas wouldn't be needed. It started to rain halfway through our bus ride. And it continued to get heavier. Should've taken the umbrellas. I joked that it was so high that maybe it wasn't raining up there. Decided to pop into any of the stores that were open in a bid for it to stop raining and to get some shopping done. Guys trying to upsell tickets to the 102nd floor observatory informed me that the waiting line was one and a half hours long.

We went to Tim Horton's for a coffee that was more water than anything and a honey and lemon tea which was OK. Very slow Internet access. Made a break for it even though it was still raining. No queue at the Empire State Building so we were straight up with our audio guide. The guide itself was very informative - we should've made ESB one of the first places to visit and not the last as it provided a much better understanding of NYC.

I braved the rain for a few pictures. Pretty cold on the 86th floor, 49F not including wind chill factor, but not raining heavily. Not long afterwards it stopped raining and we were all able to enjoy the view although it was still very cold.


Got home close to midnight - very tired.

Photo Album Vol I
Photo Album Vol II
Photo Album Vol III
Photo Album Vol IV (Final)

No comments: